Unhealthy Mold Grows in Wet Basements

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Flood Protection and other Home Security topics.

Why should I get a flood sensor for my home?

Unhealthy Mold Grows in Wet Basements

Installing a flood sensor will protect your home from damage and, more important, protect your health from harmful mold.

Mold and mildew flourish in dark places, and your basement can be a prime area, if it is vulnerable to flooding. Mold spores can be carried through your air-conditioning system to other parts of your home.
Before you know it, you have a sick home and unhealthy is remaining indoors causing family members to suffer from respiratory problems, like allergies and asthma.

Your best bet may be a flood sensor that will detect the earliest signs of trouble. Once you have the early warning system in place, take steps to end mold growth in your basement.

  1. If mold already is a problem, you need to clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
  2. Fix the source of the water problem. This may involve installing a sump pump.
  3. Run a dehumidifier in your basement every day.
  4. Immediately clean and dry building materials and furnishings. You have 24-48 hours before mold will start to grow.
  5. Get rid of moldy carpets and don't put down new carpeting in areas that may flood.

   

Comments

12/29/2007 12:31:37 PM
Gloria said:

We have a slidding door. Every winter, we get ice & snow right up to it. Now I have 2 good-sized spots of mold in my carpet, on either side of my sliding doors. Carpet was new, when we moved in. It's been about 6 yrs. HELP!!!




Name:


URL: (optional)


Comment:


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Home Security Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!


Guru Spotlight
Patricia Walters-Fischer