Take Precautions at Home When Leaving for Vacation
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about General Home Security Tips and other Home Security topics.
What can I do to protect my home while I'm on vacation?
Protect your home from burglars when you are on vacation by disguising the fact that you are away. Follow these simple steps to securing your personal belongings and keeping your home safe:
- Put your TV or radio on a timer, so it automatically goes on and off at key times during the day and night.
- Stop newspaper and mail delivery, so papers and postal items do not pile up on your porch. This is an obvious sign that no one has been home for days.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your house. Better yet, hire a house sitter -- a trusted student or senior, for example -- to stay at your home and earn some extra cash to keep a watch on things.
- In the winter, make sure someone shovels the snow from your walkway. Summers, don't let the lawn grow out of control while you're away.
- Leave an extra car parked in the driveway.
- Don't leave a recorded message on your phone at home that you are out of town. Your message at work should simply say you are out of the office.
- Don't close all the blinds and curtains, as if you are not at home.
- If you have a housekeeper who comes weekly, consider asking him or her to come the week or weeks you are away. The housekeeper's presence is another sign that someone is home.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.