Alarm Systems Come with Pagers, Panic Buttons
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Security Systems and other Home Security topics.
What kind of additional features should I look for in an alarm system?
When shopping for a burglar alarm, you will find most systems have similar standard features: motion detectors, sirens and sensors. But some systems offer additional features that add protection and convenience without driving up the price.
You may want to check out some of these state-of-the-art features when shopping for a new alarm system:
- One-touch activation that lets you arm the system by pushing a single button.
- Pagers that will contact you when the system is not turned on or off as scheduled. For example, if your housekeeper does not arrive at a scheduled time and disarm the system, you will be paged.
- Additional user codes. Give your baby sitter, pet sitter and house cleaner their own code to access the house. You can delete a code when you no longer need it.
- Emergency button that lets you summon immediate help 24 hours a day.
- Self-testing that allows the control panel to alert you if the system has malfunctioned.
- Battery backup that keeps the system running if there is a power failure.
- Chime that lets you know if someone opens the front or back door, when the system is turned off.