Familiarize Your Kids With The Alarm System
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Keeping Teens Safe and other Home Security topics.
Do your kids know how to use the security system?
As your children grow into teenagers there are more instances where they might be home alone. With no one else at home, they need to be familiar with how your home security system works. When they are old enough it is important to make sure they are comfortable operating the alarm and know what to do in an emergency.
This includes the following items:
- Knowing how to arm and disarm the system
- Knowing how to use the command station to control lights, motion detectors and other security equipment
- Understanding exactly what areas of the house and yard your wireless security system protects
- Being able to test the home security equipment to make sure it is in working order
- Knowing what the password is in case the monitoring company calls
All of these are things that your teenagers should know to maintain home security. The more familiar they are with the alarm system and emergency procedures the more they can help with younger siblings as well.