Compare Flood Sensors Before Buying
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Flood Protection and other Home Security topics.
What features should I look for in a home flood sensor?
When you shop for a flood or water sensor, compare the features of different brands. Essential functions can vary, such as the depth of water measured or whether the sensor can be connected to an existing home alarm.
Here is a checklist of features to shop for:
- Reliability and years of maintenance-free service. Go online to check customer ratings for products you are considering.
- Compatibility. If you already have a home security system, shop for a water or flood sensor that will hook up to your home alarm. If you are unsure, check with the dealer where you bought your alarm system. Either the company will have a compatible product or know where to find one.
- Effectiveness. Look for a sensor that can detect water overflow or flooding right when it happens. Some sensors use a thin adhesive strip that can detect water under carpets.
- High level of protection. Some products let you connect several sensors – in the kitchen, basement, laundry room – to one alarm.
- State-of-the-art alarm. You may want to choose an alarm that will sound for several hours or even days if there is a problem.
- C onvenience. Look for a flood sensor that has easy DIY installation.