Add a Flood Sensor But Take Preventive Steps, Too
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Flood Protection and other Home Security topics.
What preventive steps can I take to stop water damage?
Flood sensors are practical for detecting burst pipes in your home. They will signal a problem before you have had time to notice. But there also are some steps you can take to prevent flooding and water damage in the first place:
- Keep your house heated to a minimum temperature of 62 or 65 degrees Farenheit. Lower temperatures can cause the pipes in your walls to freeze.
- Clean rain gutters to avoid ice dams in the winter. They can cause water to seep into your house and create a mess.
- Don't leave an attached garage door open. The draft in winter can lower your home's temperature and freeze pipes.
- Know the location of the water shutoff valve of your house, in case you need to turn it off in an emergency.
- Drain you water system to keep pipes from freezing, if you plan to be away for a long time in the winter.
- Check your home insurance policy. Do you have adequate coverage for water damage and flooding?
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.