Keep Doors Locked When You Are Home
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Security Systems and other Home Security topics.
Do I need to worry about security if I live in a safe neighborhood?
Living in a safe neighborhood will not make you immune to crime. Be aware of suspicious cars or people in your neighborhood and also teach your children to be safe.
- Always keep doors locked. Don't assume that a burglar or intruder will avoid an occupied house.
- Never allow strangers inside your house, even if they are wearing uniforms or asking for help.
- Only let technicians in your house for pre-arranged visits. Ask to see company ID and a photo. If you still feel uncomfortable, ask a neighbor to stay with you until the service technician leaves.
- Install a home security system. Burglar alarms are affordable and have a proven track record for preventing crime and keeping people safe. You can teach your children how to use the system.
- Advise your children not to open the door when someone knocks without checking first to see who it is. The child should look through the window or a peep hole, or summon an adult to answer the door. If the visitor is a stranger, the child should not open the door, even if the person is asking for help or wearing a uniform.
- Burglars may case a home to learn your routine. It's a good idea to vary your activities.
- Invest in a home security system that will alert you or sound an alarm when any doors or windows are opened in restricted areas.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.